Sunday, October 25, 2015

Should you string your own racquets?

Now this is something I've been pondering for a while now. As I began to m\play tennis more often i found myself breaking more strings than I care to admit. Some from natural use, others from a tad bit of rage, but nonetheless stringing can get costly.

I prefer to buy multifilament strings for the feel, but they aren't the most durable string. A set of multis can be anywhere from $15-$30. That coupled with the cost of labor for stringing begins to be a bit much for someone who owns 3 racquets.

So I asked myself, "How hard would it be to string my own racquets?" The thought really hadn't crossed my mind until recently, but I scoured the internet for stringing machines at an affordable price range. Man are the expensive! Alas, I found some entry level stringing machines around my price range. Check them out below:



After searching, reading reviews and watching many demonstrations I ended up purchasing the Klippermate stringing machine. Now the candidates are nearly identical, so I've heard, but this machine came with free strings and that's what drew me in. These machines are all drop weight stringing machines, meaning you pull the lever to tension the strings. This is standard for cheaper machines.

If you play tennis occasionally, then it is most likely perfectly alright to skip buying a stringer and just have someone else do it. For the rest of you who play frequently and break strings like me, this may be a wise investment that will pay for itself quickly. 

Now I've never actually strung my own racquet, so this should be an interesting experience to say the least. Reading stories from first time stringers, it could take me anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours to string my first racquet. We'll see how it goes. My stringer should arrive in the next week, so I'll be updating you with my experience in the near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment