Sunday, October 4, 2015

Tennis Tournament Journeys: The Citi Open, Washington D.C.

This past Summer, 2015, I went with a few friends to my first professional level tennis tournament. The Citi Open in Washington D.C. was held from August 3rd - 9th. This is a 500 level tournament, meaning that the winner generates 500 ranking points going toward their world ranking.

For this tournament we decided to buy tickets for the the finals. You can purchase tickets on a day by day basis or for a week long package. Our tickets allowed access to the facility grounds and the doubles, men's and women's finals. Well worth the price, we got our fix of tennis that day. 

For the doubles final, Bob and Mike Bryan faced off against Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo. It truly is a different experience to witness the level of play from professionals in real life. A television could never compare to watching a tournament in person. I took the photo below of some match play. Notice the cameraman filming, this was being filmed live for television. 

Bob and Mike Bryan

Bob and Mike Bryan turned out to be the victors that day. It was fast-paced. I found myself looking back and forth so often that watching the match felt like a workout. It was worth the strain.

Next on the schedule was the men's singles final. I was ecstatic when my favorite player on tour, Kei Nishikori, made it through to the finals. I was also excited to see John Isner through. Being one of the tallest players on tour combined with having a godly serve, this was something I surely would be in awe of and I wasn't disappointed.  

Nishikori (left) and Isner (right)

Nishikori mid-serve
Trophy Ceremony

The match was definitely exciting. John Isner pulled the first set, but Nishikori came back to win the next two sets for the match. It was a beautiful day for tennis and I couldn't have asked for a better match-up. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay for the women's final because it was a long drive back home, but I'm planning to stay the entire day next time. In the future I will be going to more tournaments. I have my eyes set on Toronto, the Summer of 2016.
Oh look, it's me!
I recommend that anyone who is a fan of tennis make the trip out to see a tournament. The lower ranking tournaments are very affordable and if you have the extra money, a grand slam is most likely well worth it. Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment